RESPONSIBILITIES – MISSION
The mission of the Senior Accountant is to implement, upgrade & maintain ARC’s accounting, inventory and administration systems, to maximize market access for ARC’s medical devices for the reduction of post-surgical adhesions.
• Are an entrepreneur in a Senior Accountant’s body
• Love day-to-day bookkeeping, inventory control systems and general administration
• Have a fearless personality and a yearning to change the world
• Are passionate about preventing surgical adhesions
• Desire to have a substantial, direct impact on the success of the products you develop and the company you work with
• Perform remarkably or fail big, rather than perform adequately
• Figure out how to fix it (instead of who’s to blame)
• Within the first 90 days, work with our Senior Financial Accountant to implement or upgrade and then maintain ordering, inventory receipts and issuances and payment control systems.
• Within the first 90 days, implement or upgrade and then maintain systems to ensure accurate and on-time reporting for license and partner agreements, HR requirements, securities commissions, GST returns, WCB reports, and ROEs.
• Within the first 90 days, liaise with external auditors to drive an efficient and effective first compliance audit, gather and compile compliance related data to assist external auditors.
• Within the first 90 days, update ESOP documentation, including using Black Scholes method of stock option valuation and writing stock option certificates.
• Within the first 90 days, review, update and write BOD resolutions.
• Within the first 180 days, collaborate and provide support to the external auditors in the course of the first financial audit (ARC year end of March 31, 2019)
• Within the first 90 days, implement and administer internal financial and operational controls and payroll cycles, and write internal control policies and procedures.
WHO OR WHAT IS ARC MEDICAL DEVICES?
ARC is developing and commercializing novel, first-in-class solutions to prevent post-surgical adhesions – which if not prevented cause pain & suffering, organ dysfunction, infertility, and death; and for which there is a dire unmet medical need.
Our products are non-viscous, liquid, polysaccharide-based medical devices. Our preclinical data in numerous surgical adhesion models show that our product flows throughout the entire surgical site and reduces the formation of surgical adhesions throughout the entire surgical site. We’ve recently built a manufacturing facility & quality control laboratory; and are implementing our quality management system now (IOS 13485). We will initiate first-in-human and follow-on clinical trials in the near-term.
• Work to positively transform the health of millions of surgery patients
• Care more about your ability to lead and pioneer than your experience
• Are building a start-up: we work long, hard hours with some flexibility and we take time to celebrate our achievements
• Are implementing efficient systems in the midst of scale-up chaos
• Are not afraid to make mistakes
WHY WORK AT ARC MEDICAL DEVICES INC.?
• Mission: We are doing something super-important that no one else is going to get done: using our novel, liquid medical device we are reducing the formation of surgical adhesions throughout the entire surgical site.
• People: We have a superstar team that is passionate about improving their own & others’ health and is fun to work with (also a bit goofy). Every member of our team is prioritized, driven, trustworthy, self-improving, smart, creative, and efficient. Our team is built of diverse international people across various disciplines – all of whom enjoy the outdoors, be it hiking, trail-running, camping, kayaking, kiteboarding, snowboarding, downhill skiing, cross-country skiing or other outdoor activities.
• Family: As part of our hiring and post-hiring processes – we ensure that ARC is the correct fit for our team members’ families.
• Fun: 1) We hire the right people for the right job so that our folks do what they love doing while helping get our products to patients. 2) Our entire team has lunch together on Fridays; occasionally we have Friday Beer O’Clock; and we also have a ‘celebration day’ after achieving an aggressive milestone – including activities like go-kart racing, mini-golf, and beer brewing.
REQUIRED DESIGNATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• CPA designation
• Bachelor’s or higher in applicable degree e.g. business administration, accounting, finance, engineering, biomedical engineering, biology or chemistry
• 5+ years experience in accounting, inventory control and administration. Minimum 3 years hands-on full-cycle accounting experience.
• Experience with SAGE or equivalent ERP systems required.
• Experience administering ESOPs
• Experience working in a start-up is ideal; biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience is an asset.
• Experience conducting due diligence for M&A, license agreements and potential investors.
• Experience liaising with external auditors
• Excellent communication skills, fluent in English (written and spoken).
• Working knowledge of speaking and writing in Chinese, Japanese &/or German is an asset.
COMPETENCIES – ROLE SPECIFIC
• Proactive and Enthusiastic / “Challenge Accepted”
• Professional Expertise
• Standards/High Standards
• Detail / Attention to Detail
• Open Minded and Skilled Listener
• Strategic Visioning / Thinking
COMPETENCIES – CULTURE FIT
• Prioritized / Drives Decisions & Their Execution / Goal-oriented Organization, Planning & Execution / Action Management
• Teamwork / Collaboration / ‘Chemistry’ / Interpersonal Skills
• Driven & Fast-Paced Work Ethic / Commitment / Determination / Perseverance / Resilience / Energy Level and Aggressive & Assertive
• Honest, Integrity and Trustworthy
• Self-Improvement / Seeks Feedback and Criticism / Coachable
• Ego Under Control / Humble / Kind
• Passionate about Personal and Others’ Health
• Smart / Intelligent / Clever / Learner / Perceptive
• Creative / Innovative / Inventive
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We are an equal opportunity employer and evaluate applicants without regard to race, colour, national origin, religion, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are in Richmond, British Columbia, Canada – right beside Vancouver. From our facilities to the Vancouver International Airport is about a 10-minute drive; and to the heart of downtown Vancouver is about a 30-minute drive.
HOW TO APPLY
• Tell us in eight sentences or less why you’re interested in ARC and how your past accomplishments show what unique contributions you can make to our Team, including how you will rapidly initiate and complete the work to meet the Outcomes outlined above.
• Email your cover letter and CV in pdf and include the name of this position in the subject heading to email@example.com
• Due to the anticipated volume of responses, we will contact only those candidates who most closely match our requirements.
Commensurate with Experience $60,000 – 70,000
Posting Closes November 16, 2018